View Single Post
Old 11-26-2012, 06:59 PM   #4
rwhe
Hierodule
rwhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rwhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rwhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rwhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rwhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rwhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rwhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rwhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rwhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rwhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rwhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo, calibre, Android, FBReader
Quote:
Originally Posted by EldRick View Post
I've not been entirely satisfied with the granularity of the text controls on the Kobo, particularly on the Mini, where one would like to be able to have finer-gained control over the margins and line spacing, in order to balance the amount of text on the display against the readability.

Turns out that the issue is simply that the sliders don't offer fine enough control over some of the parameters: the text size, margins, and line spacing.

This is typical arrogant programmer thinking, IMHO, where the coder presumes to know how the users want to use the product.
Thanks for your tutorial on hacking the text controls, EldRick. I may go try it later. But do you have to tweak the Kobo devs' noses so? The users have to use their Kobos somehow; they have to vary their text settings somehow; there have to be some defaults. So the devs guessed wrong in your case. Why do you call this arrogance? Perhaps there are other users not speaking up for whom the existing controls work just fine.

Personally, I'm far more annoyed at the default settings of some ebooks with tiny fonts and wide margins. But for that there are calibre and Sigil.

Last edited by rwhe; 11-26-2012 at 07:04 PM. Reason: diction; spelling
rwhe is offline   Reply With Quote