View Single Post
Old 12-17-2013, 03:55 PM   #16
Strether
Guru
Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1; iPad Air; iPhone 7; Kobo Libra; Kindle Oasis 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApK View Post
I just this moment finished the last of Lois McMaster Bujold's Vorkosigan books. ("Cryoburn" in internal chronology order...I finished "Captain Vorpatril's Alliance" last week.)

Wow. Good series. Military SF adventure and space opera and intrigue, then once she hooks you, she takes you to character drama, romance, farce, and more.

So now what? What should I read next?

ApK
My brother's almost in the same place that you are: he has two more Bujold books to read and he's trying to make them last to get him through Christmas week. I'm going to recommend that he start the Liaden series next, which share some of the same characteristics that make the Bujold series so captivating.

On my recommendation, he read some of the Honor Harrington books--more of them, actually, than I was able to get through. But Weber's Dahak trilogy is good, and if it's filled with battles, at least they're different kinds of battles. The Weber/Ringo March books are good, and we both liked L.E. Modesitt's first three Imager books.

A year or so ago, I would have thought the Georgette Heyer recommendations were off the wall. But Sharon Lee, the co-author of the Liaden books, has a blog and periodically lists the books she's been reading. In 2012, I think, she and her husband, Steve White, read a dozen or so of the Heyer books to each other and, being curious about what there was about the novels that would prompt them to do that, I read a Heyer book (Frederica, which was funny from beginning to end.) Since then, I've read most of the Regency books, though the one of her detective books I read I didn't enjoy that much.

Jim
Strether is offline   Reply With Quote