View Single Post
Old 06-20-2012, 05:04 AM   #1
hooplehead
hooplehead began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Touch, Sony PRS-T1
Privacy concerns of Reading Life

Hello everyone! <First post >

I thought I might share a Kobo customer care mail I got after inquiring after privacy issues of Reading Life. My question was:

Quote:
Me: Is any data, what I read, when and how long I read etc. submitted into the net? I don't use facebook or other so called "social" networks and would hate to have private data transmitted to anyone.
I know I can disable Reading Life completely, but as a local, offline statistic I think it could be interesting.
Their answer:
Quote:
Kobo: With Reading Life, you would have the option to put some information, at your request, onto your Facebook. If you are not setup with Facebook on your Kobo Touch, the Reading Life feature is for your personal use only.
So, this would mean, that all Reading Life data should be perfectly save and isn't used in any way by anyone. Comforting thought, unfortunately, I didn't get any answer to my response:

Quote:
Me: Does this mean that even when I synchronize (which includes data like Reading Life statistics, awards, books I read, I guess), this data stays secure in my account at Kobo and isn't analyzed/used by anyone, including Kobo?
Just wanted to share this. I'm not particularly concerned anymore, as I have disabled Reading Life completely. Those statistics aren't as thrilling after all...

Thanks!
hooplehead
hooplehead is offline   Reply With Quote