View Single Post
Old 12-10-2012, 07:01 PM   #6
BearMountainBooks
Maria Schneider
BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 3g Kindle Keyboard
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeD View Post
Looking at the new prices, I think that's the end of me buying from Baen unless they run some special sales via amazon now and then.

I wasn't bothered about the move to using Amazon, nor that the webscription would be limited time offers, it makes sense that Baen and their authors want to be on the main ebook stores that we're all using. Path of least resistance and all that But, I didn't expect a price hike, that's blown it for me.

Still, I expect the few people they may lose due to the move will be made up many many times over in new customers from Amazon and increased profits. Can't blame them, even if it makes me an unhappy reader.
Well, now they have to pay Amazon a cut. That money has to come from somewhere and at 6 dollars (or less) per book, it would be hard to be profitable. There are a lot of long-term expenses with any business (healthcare costs, 401k or retirement, ongoing salaries, etc). Some books break even and never sell much past that. Other books carry that load.

I don't sell an even amount of every book *I* put out. I'm sure they don't either. And Amazon (or B&N or Apple) is there to make a profit too. I don't see any way a publisher can list books at 6 dollars on an ongoing basis and stay profitable. A few very small outfits seem to (Angry Robot, Samhain some books, Carina Press--but all are smaller than Baen and haven't been around as long. And some of the books are only in ebook if I recall correctly.) but they started later so may have been able to avoid some expenses (they may only hire part time or contractors so maybe they don't have healthcare? Or retirement? Or building rentals?) Who knows.

I think they did say their mass market books (which automatically means they expect to make up some money in volume) will be a lower cost.
BearMountainBooks is offline   Reply With Quote