View Single Post
Old 03-10-2009, 12:27 AM   #9
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by wz2b View Post
What are the limitations to the Kindle 2's ability to use files generated by mobigen?

I created a small sample project consisting of the files:
1.html
2.html
toc.ncx
test.opf

Using mobigen V6.2 build 41 for linux I produced a nice .mobi file that works fine on my Kindle2 but no TOC. mobigen didn't generate any warnings other than my lack of a cover page.

I might have something wrong with my source, but I don't think so -- and before I proceed any further I was hoping someone could confirm that it should work.
What you generated is essentially an ePub, which mobigen then converted to a MOBI. The problem is that mobigen ignores the toc.ncx in an ePub and so you got the expected behavior. Calibre will use the toc.ncx when generating a MOBI, although I'm not sure if its any2mobi (or oeb2mobi) commands will work from your .opf file or if you will actually need to build an .epub.

If mobipocket ever upgrades its ePub import support to include toc.ncx then most likely what you did will work. If you want to continue to use mobigen then you need either a toc.html (contents.html) identified as the TOC in the guide items or a "tour" in the .opf:
Code:
 <tours>
  <tour id="chaptertour" title="Chapter Tour">
   <site title="Down The Rabbit-Hole" href="CarAlic.html#_RWTOC-1" />
   <site title="The Pool of Tears" href="CarAlic.html#_RWTOC-2" />
   <site title="A Caucus-Race and a Long Tale" href="CarAlic.html#_RWTOC-3" />
   <site title="The Rabbit Sends in a Little Bill" href="CarAlic.html#_RWTOC-4" />
   <site title="Advice from a Caterpillar" href="CarAlic.html#_RWTOC-5" />
   <site title="Pig and Pepper" href="CarAlic.html#_RWTOC-6" />
   <site title="A Mad Tea-Party" href="CarAlic.html#_RWTOC-9" />
   <site title="The Queen&amp;rsquo;s Croquet-Ground" href="CarAlic.html#_RWTOC-10" />
   <site title="The Mock Turtle&amp;rsquo;s Story" href="CarAlic.html#_RWTOC-11" />
   <site title="The Lobster Quadrille" href="CarAlic.html#_RWTOC-12" />
   <site title="Who Stole The Tarts?" href="CarAlic.html#_RWTOC-13" />
   <site title="Alice&amp;rsquo;s Evidence" href="CarAlic.html#_RWTOC-14" />
  </tour>
 </tours>
 <guide>
  <reference type="copyright-page" title="Copyright link" href="copyright.html" />
  <reference type="other.ms-thumbimage" title="PocketPC thumbnail image" href="PCthumb.jpg" />
  <reference type="toc" title="Table of Contents" href="Contents.htm" />
  <reference type="other.ms-coverimage-standard" title="Standard cover image" href="alice.jpg" />
  <reference type="title-page" title="About this title link" href="~cov0001.htm" />
  <reference type="other.ms-titleimage-standard" title="Standard title image" href="Ebookspine.jpg" />
  <reference type="other.ms-thumbimage-standard" title="Standard thumbnail image" href="thumb.jpg" />
  <reference type="other.ms-coverimage" title="PocketPC cover image" href="PCcover.jpg" />
 </guide>
The examples I have seen (mostly from exploded LIT ebooks) include both a tour and a contents.html, so I'm not sure if tour is sufficient on its own (a contents.html or a reference to an internal TOC in the guide items is sufficient on its own).
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote