Thread: MobileRead Discussion/Suggestion Thread
View Single Post
Old 10-24-2016, 09:32 AM   #316
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
I think overall people would prefer books that weren't a huge time commitment in any case, especially if we'd like to entice people out of their comfort zone. I take your point about OverDrive; I'm usually pretty lucky when it comes to getting a book when the alternatives are pricey, but this month while I'm on a few waiting lists for Sapiens, I won't get it in time for the discussion.

I think your alternative option is a non-starter. To much work for Tom in particular and everyone in general, for one thing. I think it would cut down on participation, also. By year-end, early voters might have moved on while people who joined the club after the vote are disenfranchised.
OK, we can scrap my second suggestion. But I do think my first suggestion (nominations/voting one month ahead) would work and it would still give people the ability to participate. Also, I do think price can be an issue and given that a lot of libraries have gone to 3-week borrow with auto checkout, the chances of getting a book before the discussion can be slim to none. I liked it better when it was 2-weeks with no auto-checkout. That meant less time for the borrow and if the person missed borrowing, it moved on to the next person instead of being borrowed. Also, I don't like the fact that accounts are set to the maximum borrow period automatically. And I think most people don't return when they finish. They just leave it and let it expire.

I think my first suggestion would mean that large books could be nominated without getting dissed for being too long.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote