View Single Post
Old 03-06-2014, 04:22 PM   #6365
Hamlet53
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chapter One View Post
I learned something new yesterday that I will share here in case others also didnt know.
I bought a book that had no download link and after speaking to Kobo I discovered the book can only be downloaded to an Android device or an iPad.
I told Kobo I had checked the 'Available On These Devices' link before I bought it and on the list it said Windows. So to me that meant I could read the book on my Windows laptop, via the Kobo app.
This is not the case at all. They explained the Windows reference means the book can be read on a tablet or phone that runs Windows, not a PC or laptop running Windows. To be able to read it on my laptop, I needed to have seen "Desktop" on the list, which in this case wasnt there.
I believe this is something that Kobo need to make clearer. Surely I cant be the only one who would think "Windows" means the book would work on their computer?
So to be sure of a books compatibility with your devices, you need to look for what is listed, but you also need to know what isnt listed.
This may mean consulting a crystal ball, as it seems Kobo themselves arent too keen on being up front with all the relevant information needed to make the correct purchases.

Actually I'm having a similar problem with a book I purchased during the big 90% off bargain period. It did not download to the Kobo application on my computer, nor is the Adobe DRM Epub link there. The only one of the books that this is so. The thing of it is that the book is listed as being able to read on a desktop. I've exchanged some emails with Kobo about this and so far I have not gotten any satisfaction. Either they are clueless or being deliberately uninformative.