View Single Post
Old 04-01-2013, 07:22 PM   #19
Tex2002ans
Wizard
Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Nook
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexBell View Post
Thanks for the references, Tex - though they seem to contradict what you said.
Indeed... it seems as if there is no "official" stance, just people on both side of the fence! I just threw in those two discussions to get even more opinions on both sides.

I personally could have seen URL shorteners making SOME sense in a physical version of a hyperlink, since typing out tens of characters might become burdensome, but with a digital version of the book, you can copy/paste easily, or hide the exact link in the HTML... therefore, I see no need for a URL shortening service. (Hence, me siding more with Turtle91).

As a side note, another thing which just popped into my head was on some networks, the Network Administrator may mass block certain categories of domains.

For example, many libraries may block a URL shortening service (as it could potentially be used to get around some simpler website blocking implementations).

If you are typing in the direct link to the website, you may be able to make it to http://whitehouse.gov, but a tinyurl link pointing to the same (legitimate) domain may be blocked.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexBell View Post
I'll check with the author if I get another ebook to design which has very long URLs.
Almost all of this is just opinions here and there on both sides of the fence (like much of the English language/rules).

Almost all of my work is done on Non-Fiction Physical (PDF) -> Digital (EPUB) conversions... so I tend to err on the side of the "more formal" fence, and keeping the text EXACTLY how it was in the physical version of the book.

Last edited by Tex2002ans; 04-01-2013 at 07:29 PM.
Tex2002ans is offline   Reply With Quote