View Single Post
Old 12-02-2012, 08:36 PM   #243
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgmueller View Post
I've had a Toshiba notebook in 2002, with a (back then) spectacular resolution. Result: For office apps I simply had to switch to a lower res, text was too small to work adequately.
Resolution may be nice for games and multimedia. But do I need more than the resolution of Surface RT for business applications?
Uh, Windows has long had the ability to change screen metrics.
If text seems too small on a high-resolution display, instead of switching to a lower resolution you can change the display metrics to a higher dpi setting.
On Windows XP:
http://www.microsoft.com/resources/d....mspx?mfr=true
Quote:
To increase or decrease the size of objects and text on your screen
Open Display in Control Panel.

On the Settings tab, click Advanced.

On the General tab, in the DPI setting list, click the dots per inch (dpi) setting you want to use.

If you choose Other in the DPI setting list, you can set custom options in the Custom DPI Setting dialog box either by selecting one of the percentage options in the drop-down list or by clicking on the ruler and dragging the pointer to specify a setting.

Restart your computer when prompted.
In Windows 7:
http://windows.microsoft.com/is-IS/w...ger-or-smaller

Quote:

Windows gives you three preset choices (100%, 125%, or 150%) for making text, icons, and other items on your screen larger than normal size. This is the quickest and simplest way to change their size. But if you prefer, you can change their size to any number between 100% and 500% of normal size using the custom dots per inch (DPI) scale.
Open Screen Resolution by clicking the Start button , clicking Control Panel, and then, under Appearance and Personalization, clicking Adjust screen resolution.

Click Set custom text size (DPI) in the left pane.

Click the scale (ruler), drag the setting to whatever percentage size increase you want (100%-500%), and then click OK. (If you prefer, you can type a number between 100 and 500 in the box next to Scale to this percentage of normal size, and then click OK.)

On the Display screen, click Apply.

To see the change, close all of your programs and then log off of Windows. This change will take effect the next time you log on.
I haven't moved to Win 8 yet, but I'd be surprised if you can't do it there, too.

Unlike other operating systems that are hardwired for specific resolutions or screen metrics (aka DPI), Windows has fully resizable and customizable graphics.
It's one of the benefits of a full-power OS; it lets you fully exploit whatever hardware you can afford.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote