Thread: Glo Bad battery?
View Single Post
Old 01-07-2013, 02:45 AM   #28
voidoid
Connoisseur
voidoid solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.voidoid solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.voidoid solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.voidoid solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.voidoid solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.voidoid solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.voidoid solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.voidoid solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.voidoid solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.voidoid solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.voidoid solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.

Device: kobo touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by jusmee View Post
I can think of no mechanism by which this can happen. I suspect something else caused the problem.
I too think that it was probably something else that caused the problem. However, one mechanism could be a race condition [ http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Race_condition ] set up by the way a particular user uses the device at a certain time. A.S.Tanenbaum of MINIX fame claims that this is a very common condition.

I think that the os is based upon LINUX which is riddled with bugs and suffers from innumerable race condition problems. I understand that other major users like Amazon and perhaps Google very successfully use LINUX but they would have had it greatly modified and spent perhaps millions to remove the bugs that they are likely to encounter.

Kobo can't do that. I reckon that Kobo is now at the same sort of place where Apple was [in the mid 90's] when they realised that they could now longer successfully develop their os and started to look around for a complete replacement for it -- neXt-step I think.

Kobo has shown through their inability to control negative bug impacts upon users that they are not able to successfully develop their os from whatever the base is -- LINUX.

We, the users, deserve a re-write.
voidoid is offline   Reply With Quote