View Single Post
Old 12-02-2012, 12:33 PM   #240
Andrew H.
Grand Master of Flowers
Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Kindle 3 (aka Keyboard), iPhone, iPad 3 (not for reading)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Alert View Post
I can't recall what the state of the "APP" world was when Apple introduced the first iPad. I suspect it was a bit on the empty side.
It was, but that's not really a relevant comparison, as the world has moved on. It's kind of like saying that a new car with a maximum speed of 45 mph would be successful because that was the maximum speed of the Model T. At the time the iPad came out, there weren't any other comparable tablets, much less any comparable tablets with more apps. So, obviously, there was no disadvantage.

Now there are are a lot of tablets available, with lots of apps, and the Surface will have to compete in that arena. So it is a genuine problem, although one that: (1) may be outweighed by positives the Surface will bring in other areas; and (2) is likely to change, if the Surface has some initial success.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Alert View Post
In this day and age of patent infringement suits in the courts, I suspect there might be some patent involvement in achievement of "Retina" resolution. MS might need time to develop their own technology.
Possibly, although I'm a little skeptical, as Apple doesn't manufacture its own screens, and there are a lot of tablets with more resolution than 150 ppi.
Quote:
Also there is more to picture quality than dots per inch. I have read that MS claims their screen quality is equal or superior to the iPad. I've not seen either so I can't comment on this claim.
If they made this claim WRT the ipad 3 or 4, it's not very likely, as Apple's screens are top notch *and* no reviews I have read have suggested anything like this. It may be true wrt the Ipad 1 or 2, of course.
Andrew H. is offline   Reply With Quote