View Single Post
Old 08-20-2011, 03:28 PM   #114
unboggling
Wizard
unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, Kindle Paperwhite 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manichean View Post
In my personal opinion, it would be simpler to go with human-readable tags, not worry about being able to read all of them onscreen and just use Calibre's excellent search feature.
Thanks, that's what I was missing in the readability debate. Searching.

Okay, we have apples and oranges and pomegranites. Things going on at different levels. I'm trying to focus towards new user needs, but I sometimes get confused between new user needs and my own not-as-new user needs, and then there's the big distinction between my new-user level and your or others' expert levels. I'm new to it and your use of calibre is much more sophisticated. Which is why I missed that "just search" idea. I'm just getting comfortable with relatively simple searches instead of using the tag browser all the time like when I started out. I can understand that a user more experienced doing searches would value readability more than visual convenience of dense information. I'm not sure I'm ready for that yet.

So trying to parse this out at the brand new user level: I get readability is good, density of information is too confusing. So in the KISS posts I need to use more readability (such as no abbreviated tags), as well as spoilers, and not even bother discussing information density at that level. And I probably need to simplify other things in it too.

So I'll work on that for the next revision.

Edit: And all that format quality discussion in the actual KISS post probably needs to simplify to one line something like "format quality is important but I won't worry it for now until I want to learn more about conversion."

Last edited by unboggling; 08-21-2011 at 11:57 PM.