View Single Post
Old 01-03-2011, 02:09 AM   #12
Exer
I see Russia!
Exer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Exer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Exer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Exer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Exer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Exer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Exer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Exer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Exer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Exer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Exer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Etch-A-Sketch
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCION View Post
It's unfortunate Hanscraft that some people have nothing of value to add to the conversation, but have the need to intrude. If someone is like this online, I can only imagine how they must be in person.

This thread had 80 views and no one felt the need to leave a comment that was of no help to you, except this individual.
It may well be possible that Hanscraft did not know that "rooting" could also void the NC warranty. Just because someone knows enough to realize rooting could be a fun thing to do, doesn't altogether mean they know the full implications of going through with it; including possibly bricking the machine and voiding the warranty. I'm not saying that is exactly the case, but it isn't out of the range of possibility, so 'that individual' could have been providing an unknown and important eye-opener.

A lot of iOS device owners ran into similar trouble during the early stages of "jailbreaking" iPods and iPhones. They had the will and desire to try it, without the knowledge of what could go wrong. I remember many desperate phone calls from friends and family, bitterly complaining about "bricked" phones, formated OS's, lack of phone service, and all manner of other oddities.

I'd always ask them if they had read up about all the potential problems that could crop up, and most of the time I'd get some sort of answer like, "uh no, everyone just said it was cool, so I wanted to try it."

So, like I said, it isn't impossible to believe people would attempt to do something potentially dangerous to their devices without knowing just what those dangers are.

I guess I should add -- before I get scolded for leaving a non-helpful message -- that I hope you get your device fixed Hanscraft, because I've actually been thinking of buying a NC myself (which is why I'm in the Nook forum reading about NC's), and there is a 100% surety that I'll root mine as soon as I buy it. So at least it is good for me to see evidence of a specific problem ... and the hopeful fixes to such a problem.
Exer is offline   Reply With Quote