Old 10-30-2010, 04:25 PM   #8
webfolk
Enthusiast
webfolk began at the beginning.

Device: None
Hi Jackie,

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie_w View Post
The reason mine worked and yours doesn't is that you will notice that I had far fewer <h1>, <h2> and <h3> tags in my sample doc than you do. I only placed one <h1>...</h1> para at the start of each Part and one <h2>...</h2> para at the start of each Chapter and one <h3>...</h3> para at the start of each Section.
I tried this in one of the many files I created and it didn't turn out well ... but that was early on when I knew even less what I was doing than I do now. I'm going to try this again.

Quote:
I actually styled the 4 lines of each "visible" Section heading as 'Heading 4' (i.e. <h4>) and these are not used in the TOC and not referenced in the Calibre conversion.

I can see that you may want each of the 4 lines to be styled slightly differently so I'll have a think about how you can achieve what you want with as few changes to your HTML as possible.
I think the way to deal with this within the text is to make the 4 lines "Heading 4" and manually format each of the 4 in each chapter.

Quote:
P.S. Another tip, when you save your Word doc as HTML try using the option SaveAs WebPage-filtered. You will get less 'MS excess baggage' in the resulting HTML file.
Word for Mac doesn't have this option, but uses one that I think is similar, if not the same: "Save as Web Page/Save only display information into HTML." Still a lot of baggage, though.

I'm going to try the above as soon as I can, juggling my time with a web forum that also relates to our work.

Thank you, Jackie, for continuing with this!
webfolk is offline   Reply With Quote