View Single Post
Old 10-12-2012, 09:53 AM   #37
Popup
Zealot
Popup rocks like Gibraltar!Popup rocks like Gibraltar!Popup rocks like Gibraltar!Popup rocks like Gibraltar!Popup rocks like Gibraltar!Popup rocks like Gibraltar!Popup rocks like Gibraltar!Popup rocks like Gibraltar!Popup rocks like Gibraltar!Popup rocks like Gibraltar!Popup rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: kindle3, paperwhite-2012, Oasis-2016, paperwhite-2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
Did you remove the board from the frame during the inspection and attempts to clean?
Nope.
Quote:
Did all of the microscopic connectors get properly seated when reassembling?
I hope so! (In fact I didn't remove any of the cables. I was pushing them around a bit, believing that it could have been a bad connection in either of them, but I believe that they're all firmly seated now.

Quote:
Note: The screw next to the mini-PCIe connector also has one of those formed "ground clips" under it.
?Which is the mini-PCIe connector? Is it the one on 'top right'? There's something on the edge there that looks like a mini-PCIe, but there's nothing connected. Is this where the GSM unit goes on the 3G version? (I've got the wifi-only.)

Quote:
Check also in the area around those two light connectors (the top "tab" is the power, the bottom one is the sensor tabs and serial port connection).

That screw on lower port connection is in two parts, did it get opened and perhaps closed again with either the sensor contact or the Rx contact shorted to ground?
(Ground is in-between those two pads.)
I haven't taken that apart (yet) but maybe I should. There could be something stuck in there...

Quote:
Mechanical error seems much more likely than a micro-crack in the board, at least not the way this board is fastened to the relatively ridged frame.
Yes, I agree that the PCB seems reasonably well protected, but I can't think of anything else. Although I suppose that a poorly soldered BGA could also be at fault. That can be a bugger to troubleshoot, and can give this kind of errors...
Popup is offline   Reply With Quote