View Single Post
Old 08-15-2011, 12:44 AM   #25
delphin
Evangelist
delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: SONY PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebestjeter View Post
. . .

None of you have said here that looking up a word in the Kindle in cumbersome has one, so their opinions are just guessing . . .

And I don't know if you live inside the USA, but the Kindle library lending is just announced, directly from Amazon, to be available later this year.
We have both Kindles and Sonys in our family, and just to avoid the hassles of book conversions, I have swapped my Sony for a Kindle 3 a few times when someone wanted to read a library book checked out on my Sony.

Basic reading functions aren't too bad; page forward; page back; even Amazon couldn't foul that up.

Once you figure out that there is no touch screen so you can't just swipe to turn pages, and that you have to be damn careful when picking the Kindle back up to avoid loosing your place by grabbing one of the page turn buttons, the page turn buttons work fairly well for basic book reading.

But I found all other aspects of the Kindle interface to be shear torture.

To look up words in the dictionary (as indeed, to navigate anywhere on the Kindles menus) you end up having to use Kindle's MICKEY MOUSE '5 way' navigation buttons.

Amazon cleverly made these navigation buttons the smallest hardest to use buttons on the device.

Use the Kindle's dictionary? Yeah, right - Down, down, down, down, down, down, down, down, right, right, right, right, down, right, right, right, down, right, right,down - oops, to far, up, right - Wallah! there you are - simple!

Uh huh, so is pounding your head up against the wall - doesn't mean it's much fun.

Trust me, "Cumbersome," was putting it nicely; less nicely, would be to point out that it puts me in mind of that great Jack Nicholson line from the movie 'Terms of Endearment' - - "I'd rather stick needles in my eyes!"

Last edited by delphin; 08-15-2011 at 12:59 AM.
delphin is offline   Reply With Quote