Thread: PRS-650 Battery Life
View Single Post
Old 01-05-2011, 11:04 PM   #12
MaxLV
Connoisseur
MaxLV is no e-book dilettante.MaxLV is no e-book dilettante.MaxLV is no e-book dilettante.MaxLV is no e-book dilettante.MaxLV is no e-book dilettante.MaxLV is no e-book dilettante.MaxLV is no e-book dilettante.MaxLV is no e-book dilettante.MaxLV is no e-book dilettante.MaxLV is no e-book dilettante.MaxLV is no e-book dilettante.

Device: Sony PRS650
Quote:
Originally Posted by mediax View Post
A number of postings I've read (mainly on this forum) have given me the impression that using an SD card for storage and reading uses more current that using the reader's main memory. I claim no expertise in this area and this could well be wrong.

Yes, I do use standby rather than powering off and I would expect that to be a factor. However, I did the same with my 505, so I'm comparing like with like in that sense.

SD cards dont require any sort of voltage from a battery when installed on an inactive device (like a reader being in standby mode or powered off) , but the reader may be 'scanning' the SD card every so often even in standby mode (to see if it's still present) which would cause a battery drain...

My 650 being used in standby mode uses/drains the battery a lot faster than in shut down/power off mode between reading sessions.

I Last charged it on 31/12/2010, and today the battery meter shows it's down to 3 bars after just 6 days normal reading for me. Standby mode drains the battery a lot quicker that shut down/power off between reading sessions.
That still works out better that Sony's claimed 14 days of reading, I should get up to 24 days reading before the battery is completely drained, but still not as good as the 34 days between charges I'm getting when I shut it down completely between reading sessions with 50% charge still remaining on the battery.
MaxLV is offline   Reply With Quote