View Single Post
Old 10-18-2020, 07:21 PM   #5
ownedbycats
Wizard
ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
But my main concern is that I didn't do any sort of similar manual tampering to cause corruption of any kind. This is a fairly new/clean install of Calibre 5.3 with no 3rd-party plugins installed. I just configured an external app to open EPUBs through the usual Calibre Open With configuration interface. *shrug* But a fixed bug is a fixed bug, I guess.
My concern was that if merely opening the file in a text editor was enough to cause the error, any other number of things might cause the same issue. Especially if the same code was used in places more vital than an open with dialog.

Thankfully Kovid was able to fix the issue like 10 minutes after I posted the bug report. It took me longer to write the bug report than it took him to identify and fix it.

I'm not really a programmer, but if I understand the code correctly:
  • the old code attempted to retrieve the icon_data and convert it to text for the json
  • if there was no icon_data, it would replace it with blank.png
  • unfortunately, this resulted in garbage data when it imported the icons from the application binaries
  • the new code seems to check that the icon_data is the right type of data

Last edited by ownedbycats; 10-18-2020 at 09:29 PM.
ownedbycats is offline   Reply With Quote