View Single Post
Old 01-13-2014, 04:59 PM   #27
erwin1234
erwin1234 doesn't littererwin1234 doesn't littererwin1234 doesn't litter

Device: Sony PRS-T1
Better a late reply then no reply. Ok I'll bite.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katsunami View Post
Are they also running those databases, using 15 different versions of the same program, some on a Mac, some on Windows XP, Vista, 7, 8, some on Linux, with some databases on Windows servers, others on Linux servers running EXT4, others running Whatever file system... all at the same time? I think they aren't.
No ofcourse not and that is not what I am asking. You are trying to make my question sound silly. I am asking for running the same database with the same computer with the same windows os version and the same instance of the same program but with the files on a network drive in stead of a local drive. Thats all.

Quote:
If Kovid would officially state that the Calibre library can be put onto a server or a NAS, he would have to support it. That means he would have to make 100% sure that it works, whatever OS the NAS or server runs, and whatever filesystem it uses, and it must work even if there are 3 different versions of Calibre accessing the same database at the same time, coming from 3 different operating systems.
I was just asking why it would not work and was offering help.

Quote:
In short:
Yes, the Calibre DB on a network could be done, probably.
No, īt won't be done, because it will be unsupportable. The permutations of different calibre versions, different operating systems (client and NAS/Server) and different file systems is just way too large.
Sorry I did not check you out but are you actually involved in calibre programming yourself, or software development on Win-OS in general? if yes could you then answer my question why this would not work on just windows (remember to take everything the same except the filesystem)?
erwin1234 is offline   Reply With Quote