View Single Post
Old 04-16-2010, 03:08 PM   #111
ZombieEatsYou
Groupie
ZombieEatsYou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZombieEatsYou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZombieEatsYou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZombieEatsYou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZombieEatsYou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZombieEatsYou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZombieEatsYou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZombieEatsYou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZombieEatsYou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZombieEatsYou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZombieEatsYou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire HD 7" & 8.9"/Sony PRS 950/Entourage eDGe/Acer A500
Glad I found this tread. You can imagine why by my avatar.

Below are my contributions. Can't swear you'll find them on epub (I just got my sony 600) but keep an eye out.

Highly recommend Frater's zombie trilogy. Being a lady writer, she develops the human relationships much more deeply than most of the male writer's I've read so far. That being said, she also dishes out the brains as well as anyone.

Other Zombie books you ask?

The Real Night of the Living Dead - "During the night of March 21st, 1951, many people died at Philadelphia State Hospital...Some more than once. What started out as a simple medical experiment on an early spring evening turns the legendary mental hospital in Philadelphia into a breeding ground for the living dead. Veimer Stanton, an attendant at Byberry that night, tells his story of the events which took place. Trapped in the center of the outbreak, Veimer decides to journey across the dangerous campus, through the increasing number of the undead, to save his girlfriend, a nurse, who may or may not have become a victim of the flesh eating maniacs. With the help of a few staff members and patients wanting to survive another day, Veimer struggles to fight his way to the other side, to his lover. Will he make it in time to rescue her before it's too late? " I give 3 out of 5.

Z Day is here - "Follow the frist 100 days of the zombie apocalypse written in journal form. The world goes crazy due to an outbreak of what people think is a rabies virus. The it gets personal as the world goes to hell up close to our writer. Friends are made. Friends are lost. And it's all here for you in journal form. " 1 out of 5. Inconsistant characters. Good action scenes but disjointed; like the author kept forgetting who and what his main player was. Didn't finish it; gave up caring if the hero found his girl or not. Niether did the hero judging by how many days he spent in safe houses "resting."

Dead City - "Battered by five cataclysmic hurricanes in three weeks, the Texas Gulf Coast and half of the Lone Star State is reeling from the worst devastation in history. Thousands are dead or dying - but the worst is only beginning. Amid the wreckage, something unimaginable is happening: a deadly virus has broken out, returning the dead to life - with an insatiable hunger for human flesh...Within hours, the plague has spread all over Texas. San Antonio police officer Eddie Hudson finds his city overrun by a voracious army of the living dead. Along with a small group of survivors, Eddie must fight off the savage horde in a race to save his family...There's no place to run. No place to hide. The Zombie horde is growing as the virus runs rampant. Eddie knows he has to find a way to destroy these walking horrors...but he doesn't know the price he will have to pay. " 3 1/2 out of 5. Many "skin of your teeth" escapes keeps the tension high.

Zombie CSU: The Forensics of the Living Dead. Aside from the vignettes with "guest stars," this is was a borefest to me. If you like a scientific explanation into how the authorities might investigate a real-life zombie apocalypse then you might enjoy this. It's not as exciting as it sounds. I don't think I even finished it. 2 out of 5.

Twilight of the Dead. "Courtney Colvin was nearing the end of her teenage years when the undead apocalypse began. She survived, forsaking her youth and innocence, and five years later she continues to exist--albeit lonely--in the fortified town of Eastpointe. Nightmares and the unwelcome advances of Leon Wolfe are the worst things she's dealing with now in her otherwise mundane life. But when a newcomer arrives in town and claims to know the location of the antidote to the zombie plague, it sends Eastpointe into an uproar. To retrieve this cure, she and a group of other survivors must venture outside the relative safety of the compound's walls and into a world ruled and dominated by the flesh-eating undead. Twilight of the Dead puts a new spin on the zombie genre, yet remains true to the classic rules that have already been set forth." 2 out of 5. Not sure why, just never got into it. Kind of slow.

History is Dead: A Zombie Anthology. "Our team of crack historians has uncovered the truth you never learned in school: the living dead have walked among us since the dawn of time. In this collection of gruesome tales from throughout the ages, the ravenous undead shamble through bloody battlefields, plague-ridden cities, genteel country estates, and dusty frontier towns. They emerge from foggy cemeteries, frozen barrows, loamy bogs, cursed mines, and gore-spattered operating rooms to prey on the living. But these zombies don't just eat people. They help painters and writers save their faltering careers. They unwittingly push humankind on the quest for fire. They topple evil capitalists and their corporate empires. They fight crime. They fall in love. Join us on a journey into our zombie-filled past... Neither history nor the living dead have ever been this exciting! " Not really - 1 out of 5. Most of the stories were dull and/or obtuse.

Didn't care for Keene's books. The "demon as zombie" genre didn't appeal to me; I'm a Romeroist.

J.L. Bourne's Day by Day Armageddon, Z A Recht's Morningstar and Frater's As the World Dies series are the best of the "romero" type of zombie books. All are 4 out of 5 or better.
ZombieEatsYou is offline   Reply With Quote