View Single Post
Old 11-15-2010, 10:58 AM   #1
nickdma
Enthusiast
nickdma began at the beginning.

Device: Tablet PC
Device management really slow when device = connected folder

I've got a library of about 3k books in Calibre. It's located on a network share, which does slow things down considerably, so I'm aware that's part of the issue...

I use the Connect/share... connect to folder feature to attach a folder as a device to calibre, so that I can use "send to device" and take advantage of the rename/metadata plugin features. Yes, I know I could simply copy the files faster.

It seems like when I connect a folder, any operations on the device take an excessive amount of time to complete. The connected folder isn't nested, and it's practically empty, only containing a few books I happen to be reading at any given time.

For example, simply connecting to the folder causes calibre to stop responding for 2 minutes.

I figure this is probably not an often used feature, and maybe there's just some unnecessary processing that's happening, which when you add a few factors together, balloons into the performance issue I'm seeing.

Not a big deal, just thought I'd mention it in hopes there's some easy tweaking that could make it faster.

From an end user perspective, it just seems out of whack. You wouldn't think it would take much to "connect" to a local folder. I'm sure there's a ton of db queries happening in the background to determine the state of the folder, and that's the source of the slowdown.

Oh, this is with the latest .28 build. It's been this way for awhile now.
nickdma is offline   Reply With Quote