View Single Post
Old 08-01-2009, 09:13 PM   #6
Valloric
Created Sigil, FlightCrew
Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD
There is one problem caused by a bug in the Qt Framework that Sigil uses and that users need to be aware of... currently Sigil supports loading of books with embedded fonts. But if you specify several versions of the font (like for instance bold and italic versions) with @font-face rules, the other versions usually won't be displayed. Sometimes they will, sometimes the won't. It's rather random. And when you close Sigil after loading such an EPUB book, Sigil will crash with a segfault.

This happens less often on Mac and Linux versions than on Windows. On windows it's pretty constant. As I've said, it's a bug in the Qt framework (I've replicated it directly in their example applications) and I can't fix it. I've reported the bug to Nokia and hopefully they'll fix it by the next release of Qt (which should be a couple of months away).

That being said, you can still edit such books without a problem. The crash happens on application exit. And even though the italic and bold version won't show up in Book View, they will be shown in ADE. Again, this only applies to books with embedded fonts. All other books are unaffected.

BTW this can be replicated in Calibre's ebook viewer too, since it uses the Qt framework as well.