View Single Post
Old 01-27-2020, 08:27 PM   #15
tomsem
Wizard
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone XS, Kindle Voyage, iPad mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by rosalita View Post
Yes, I would want to listen to the audiobook while out and about, so probably through the Kindle app on my phone.

But here's a question that you may not know the answer to: Is there any syncing between the Audible audiobook and the Kindle ebook? If read Chapters 1-3 on my Kindle, then open the Kindle app on my phone and start playing the audiobook version, will it start at Chapter 4, or will I have to manually navigate to where I left off on the Kindle? And vice versa, of course.
Yes, that should work, provided that the title supports Whispersync for Voice, which provides the foundation for the Immersion Reading feature in the Kindle app (which came some time after W4V was available). So you can freely switch and sync (assuming device has a chance to send last reading position to Amazon, i.e. is not offline).

It is sometimes the case that there is a Kindle edition and Audible editions for a given book (Both based on same print version, translation etc), but for whatever reason Whispersync is not supported. They have to do some sort of ‘processing’ so new titles sometimes do not support it for a few weeks, and some older titles (predating W4V) which have not had the processing retroactively applied.

I probably have 250 titles in my library that support it.

Over the years, I’ve probably made 4 calls to Customer Support fix issues with some of the books in my library, where it should have supported it but didn’t actually let me download an audiobook companion in the Kindle app. I have 2 (that I know of) that are in need of repair and another CS call when I get around to it. So it works as expected 99% of the time, but nice to know you can resolve it when that’s not the case.

Also if you live in the US and borrow Kindle edition from public library, the discounted audiobook price applies just as if you ‘owned’ the Kindle edition.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote