View Single Post
Old 01-24-2020, 05:42 PM   #11
6charlong
friendly lurker
6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, nook, Apple and Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by rosalita View Post
Hello, all. I have been a long-time user of Kobo e-readers, and I have no desire to change that anytime soon. However, there are some books that are only available for Kindle, and while I have in the past converted them to epub format using Calibre, lately I've been wondering about the economics of picking up an inexpensive Kindle to use for these kinds of books.

In short, I'm looking for recommendations for relatively inexpensive, fairly basic Kindle. I'd like to have the front light, but I don't care about physical page-turn buttons, waterproofing, large screen, etc. Essentially, if I could duplicate the specs of my Kobo Glo HD in a cheap-ish Kindle format, that would be ideal.
Something Amazon is doing now that may interest you is offering to sell the audiobook edition of a book at a reduced price if you buy it at the same time as the kindle edition. Both the basic Kindle and the Paperwhite will play the audiobook if you have a bluetooth speaker, headphones or earbuds. They let you trade back and forth between text and audio forms of the book.

This also works on the amazon Fire HD 7 ($50). I bought one at Christmas time for $25 and other sales come along from time to time. It will also play audiobooks and Kindle books. It has it's own speaker and will play music as well as thousands of movies and TV shows that are free if you already subscribe to Amazon Prime, rent them or purchase them from Amazon. As an ereader it has lower resolution than the Paperwhite and a backlit screen of course.
6charlong is offline   Reply With Quote