View Single Post
Old 01-22-2020, 12:01 PM   #12
pazos
cosiņeiro
pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BQ Cervantes 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by cges30901 View Post
I tested several viewers, all of them can navigate from nav.xhtml page, but some can not navigate from application's TOC menu (don't know how to call it).

viewers that can: duokan (Android), Calibre (Linux)
viewers that can not navigate from application's TOC menu: Reasily (Android), Lithium (Android)

Some viewers don't even support epub 3 nav, so I have to generate NCX. But those do work, like KOReader (Android) and Moon+ (Android).
Yeah, most (homemade) ebook readers don't support some epub3 specs. Probably IDPF folks are aware of this and thus include legacy NCX on most of their epub3 samples.

I use both KOReader and Moon+. Moon+ will generate a TOC based on toc.xhtml, if available. KO wont. The workaround most ko users will do is generating a new toc based on h1-h6 headers (by long pressing the toc entry in the menu).

Anyways, if you're looking for apps to test the epub3 you can use the charts in http://epubtest.org/results and sort the results looking for basic functionality. Some of the usual suspects are Apple books, Google books, ADE and gitden.

While Moon+ is not included in the charts it does support a subset of epub3, specially text-direction (for vertical text) and ruby tags.

I see no reason other that "nobody is using that feature" for Moon+ to be epub3 compliant, as it is based on webview. Sadly that's not the case of KOReader, where some parts of the specs, like media playing or css-writting-modes, won't be supported with current rendering backends (crengine and mupdf).

In short: you can safely exclude KO, FBReader, AlReader, Kybook3, Hyphen, TiReader, Coolreader, MuPDF viewer... and do your tests on:

- iOS: ADE/ Bluefire reader/ Play Books, Apple Books
- Android: ADE/ Bluefire reader/ Play Books / Moon+ / Gitden
- Linux: foliate
- Web: anything based on epub.js, like epubViewer
pazos is online now   Reply With Quote