View Single Post
Old 01-19-2020, 02:41 AM   #12
rtiangha
Addict
rtiangha with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitrtiangha with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitrtiangha with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitrtiangha with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitrtiangha with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitrtiangha with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitrtiangha with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitrtiangha with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitrtiangha with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitrtiangha with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitrtiangha with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbit
 
Posts: 259
Karma: 60749
Join Date: Jul 2016
Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by skybook View Post
Darn! I installed the dictionary as per the same link you posted, but it didn't work. It has to be a problem with the csv file or the command I'm using with penelope, because I managed to successfully install 2 other English dictionaries found on this site (WordNet and Websters)

Anyone have any suggestions? The csv file I created has 2 columns, no header (first column has the word, second has the definition). Here is the link to the csv file in case I messed that up: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1T1...pLmtd2RI7mTOoF
Yeah, I've encountered similar issues when trying to make custom word lists and sometimes things work and sometimes they don't and I can't figure out why (still can't; if anyone can tell me why three separate dictionaries may work well on their own but fail when combining all three, BUT work when any combination of two of them are combined instead and what might be possible reasons, I'm all ears).

I do know that the Kobo dictionary renders in HTML and is thus picky about un-escaped special characters appearing in the headword and/or definition and I don't think Penelope escapes them by default when it encounters them in a conversion. So you could try removing or escaping the various " characters in your definitions (just do a find/replace in a text editor) and retrying the conversion, even though that would make the csv file no longer a true csv file. I'm not sure if the ' characters need to be escaped as well, but you can try doing that as well.

Other ideas is to try converting the csv to a stardict dictionary (either using penelope or pyglossary) and see if the dictionary still works in something like goldendict and/or the original stardict viewer. If not, then that means there might be other issues. If it does work correctly, maybe try converting that stardict version to kobo format instead since that functionality in penelope seems to be better tested.

Last edited by rtiangha; 01-19-2020 at 03:15 AM.
rtiangha is offline   Reply With Quote