View Single Post
Old 02-09-2011, 06:13 AM   #56
delphin
Evangelist
delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: SONY PRS-650
Hi Sherman, loved your idea of a nice simple high quality KJV Bible, but for some reason I had endless trouble with the v3.0 epub.

It would outright crash FBreader in linux most of the time, and the few times I got it to load, it took about 5 minutes to bring up the title page, and the TOC wouldn't work!

On my Sony PRS-650 the file was also much slower loading though it would usually load in 10 or 15 seconds worst case, then if you dared to do any kind of simple search like (like searching "for god so loved") it might lock up the reader requiring the use of the reset button.

When I looked inside the file, I found that although you had done an absolutely incredible job of editing the HTML to be clean and error free, the EPUB itself was just totally mangled in conversion from HTML, creating over 1200 tiny file segments.

So, I downloaded your HTML base file, and ran it through a better controlled split and conversion to EPUB using Sigil, and the result exceeded my wildest expectations.

Now the file loads in FBreader, Adobe ADE, and on my PRS-650 in literally a second or two, and the search function seems to work perfectly.

Since things were working so well, I made a few other minor tweaks -

* Added public domain cover art from the first edition found on Wikipedia

* Switched to modern standard abbreviated naming, so the Table Of Contents would be fully readable on portable devices like the Nook and Sony Readers.

* As another improvement to the EPUB Table Of Contents, I added separate links at the main level for "Old Testament" and "New Testament".

Here is the new version 4 file -

Last edited by delphin; 02-09-2011 at 09:10 AM.
delphin is offline   Reply With Quote