View Single Post
Old 06-16-2010, 11:04 AM   #4
Starson17
Wizard
Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: WinMo: IPAQ; Android: HTC HD2, Archos 7o; Java:Gravity T
Quote:
Originally Posted by rheostaticsfan View Post
After doing some digging here I gather that this may be an "input character encoding" problem and I need to put the appropriate encoding type into my preferences.

I cannot understand how I'm supposed to determine what my character encoding is? I tried cp1252 which I gather is common. That didn't help me, so I guess it's a different codec: but I have no idea how to figure out which one.

Can anyone help?
Now you see the problem that Calibre has - how does one determine the character encoding if it isn't specified? Calibre has tools to try to do it automatically, but they aren't perfect. You could look at the problem characters, try to figure out what they ought to be, then find an encoding that matches, then see if all the other characters look OK.

Most people don't do it that way, however. They just try reasonable options until one seems to work. Here are the ones I usually try:
cp1252
cp1251
latin1
utf-8
Starson17 is offline   Reply With Quote