View Single Post
Old 08-07-2007, 05:08 PM   #14
jasonkchapman
Guru
jasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it is

Device: Sony Reader, nook, Droid, nookColor, nookTablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nogg View Post
My assertion is that I'm paying for the books I receive legally, but not in the way that the publishers want, and that's the message.
Yeah, I get that. The problem is that it's yelling into a vacuum. No one is getting the message except the flea market/ebay seller/used book store where you buy the books. And they can't do a bloody thing about it.

The message the publishers get is that fewer people are reading, because fewer people are buying books. They're also getting the message that no one is interested in any titles once the initial print run is gone. The only thing they might see from your process is that the **AA folks must be right, because there's a bunch of unauthorized ebook downloading going on and no corresponding sales of their backlist to match. The conclusion is that people download them so that they don't have to pay for them.

If you buy the books new, there will be a record of interest in books, a record of interest in the specific titles you choose, and some value to the author. Then when they see that said title is being downloaded as an unauthorized ebook, it would stand a chance of matching up. Even publishing folks, as backward and slow-to-evolve as they are, will eventually make the connection.
jasonkchapman is offline   Reply With Quote