View Single Post
Old 03-29-2010, 11:45 AM   #41
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
I think you aren't giving Dropbox enough credit. It is extremely robust. Are you able to duplicate this situation?
I am part of a multi-country multi-partner project at my university, and we use dropbox to share code and papers under construction. We have frequently (several times per week) had cases where changes were simultaneously made to a file in different dropboxes. The result was the creation of 'conflict' files, all of which needed to be manually examined to determine which one was correct. In a couple of cases, neither were correct; we had to merge them together.

The worst case we encountered happened in an eclipse java project. A person in Italy and a person in the UK each changed a different fundamental class at (more-or-less) the same time. The change caused the regeneration of a large number of .class files . The result: because of dropbox propagation delays some files came from Italy and some came from the UK. Nothing worked. We had to get on the phone, stop one of the people, regenerate, then let dropbox propagate. Then do the same thing in Italy. Once everything was back in sync, we could continue to work on our individual parts.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote