View Single Post
Old 03-29-2010, 10:53 AM   #33
Starson17
Wizard
Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: WinMo: IPAQ; Android: HTC HD2, Archos 7o; Java:Gravity T
Quote:
Originally Posted by daffy4u View Post
I do not fully trust "the cloud" which is why I copy my Calibre library from Dropbox to all my computers (except the desktop which was used to created the Dropbox library). Having a local copy on each machine also gives me access to my books when I do not have an internet connection (as well as being additional back-ups).

Bouncing between the installations I have of Calibre on each computer hasn't caused me a problem so far. Calibre is not open on all computers at the same time.
I'm not sure if you mean you keep a non-dropbox monitored directory on each machine, or just let dropbox sync a copy on each machine.

I probably shouldn't even be discussing this, as I'm sort of guessing how dropbox works, but usually, the cloud holds a copy, and you point that copy to a directory on each machine. If a file gets updated in the monitored directory, the cloud sees that, it pulls a copy into the cloud and sends the updated file to all computers. That means that if you get a corrupted metadata.db file on any one computer, that corruption gets replicated to all.

There are two issues. The first is preventing corruption. Avoiding simultaneous use of Calibre on two computers goes partway to doing that, but as I posted, it isn't enough. A batch file launch with a dummy flag file can also help. The other issue is having a backup to recover from when/if a corruption gets replicated to all monitored directories. Don't expect a local copy to be a backup if that local copy is being monitored and updated by dropbox.

Last edited by Starson17; 03-29-2010 at 10:58 AM.
Starson17 is offline   Reply With Quote