View Single Post
Old 03-15-2013, 06:08 AM   #15918
Gazella
Wizard
Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stitchawl View Post
"Silas Marner," "Great Expectations," and "A Tale of Two Cities" had to be the three most BORING titles to give a 13 year old-15year old guy. Simply awful, and almost turned me off from reading completely.
I had to read A Tale of Two Cities when I was 13 years old and I just loved it. But we were given the Penguin Readers Level 5 so the text was simplified into a more modern style. Maybe children find these classic novels boring because they had to read the original language and found it hard to understand it. Was that the case with you?

P.S. I read the non simplified version of the novel at the age of 18 and it was completely different in terms of the language, format, the chapter titles and how they're divided. Reading the non-altered version made me feel that I'm really reading a classic. When I read the simplified version, I felt like I was reading a modern book that wasn't written a very long time ago.
Gazella is offline   Reply With Quote