View Single Post
Old 09-16-2011, 01:56 PM   #59
Psyke
Evangelist
Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Wi-Fi - Kobo Touch - GNex - N7
Quote:
Originally Posted by tecweston View Post
Yeah, that's true, they should really base it on page-turns or hours spent reading, because I read my Kobo for at least an hour or two per day, and I know people that turn their e-readers on maybe once a week. I'm sure my Kobo touch's battery could last two months if I never used it, but as it is right now I have to charge it once a week.
It's really hard to get a good gauge for battery life on these things; I usually spend about an hour or two a day myself reading, however I don't remember the last time (apart from today, get to that in a minute) where I've had to plug it in due to low charge mainly because I'm constantly plugging it in for other reasons, albeit for short periods of time, such as for updating firmware or adding/removing a couple books.

Just as an example, they are having some of us test a new firmware, and one of the things I've been trying to do this week is run down my battery; I had been trying since Monday night, by running through a book over and over again while running the wi-fi,and leaving the device on all the time (only shut it off to go to and from work). I had started with a 3/4 battery, and I only got it to die this morning. I was able to run through a 525 "page" epub about 4 and half times in this period; it was actually over 1000 page turns each time through so over 4500 page turns, while barely shutting the device off and running with the wifi radio on. That's pretty good, but still hard to gauge reality because I was artificially trying to kill it.

The amounts they claim (about 1 month), I believe, is when the device is in Standby, or possibly on, but not being used. once you start adding in page turns, it starts to drop, depending on how much you use it, with the drain increasing with radio usage, doing searches on it, etc... In the off state, it really should be able to last for months (the wife hadn't used her kobo much at the start, leaving it for a couple months at one point, and when she went back to it, it had about a half charge to it).

Last edited by Psyke; 09-16-2011 at 01:59 PM.
Psyke is offline   Reply With Quote