View Single Post
Old 09-08-2010, 10:52 AM   #1
JeremyZ
Addict
JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook ST, Kindle 2, Samsung Galaxy Stellar phone
How do (did) you cope with your "good job" that is super boring?

I have what many would consider a good job. I make enough that my wife doesn't have to work (though she does) and when she finishes her residency, she will make at least twice as much as I do. Even now, we are easily able to pay the mortgage and two car payments.

I have one of these desk jobs in which I stare at a computer screen all day. The work is about 70% procedural and 30% technical. Even the technical part gets boring after a while. I have been doing it for 5 years now. For 8 years before that, I was a technician (instead of an engineer) and I much prefer that work. Walking around and physically DOING things.

My wife is a career woman. We want to start having kids in the next few years. (we're 33 years old now) She absolutely doesn't want to stay at home with the kids. I'm so tired of my job that I think I'd rather change diapers, clean house, and do that sort of thing all day, but I don't think that feeling would last.

The job I fantasize about is doing something in which I get to walk around in the wilderness all day. Hot or cold, dangerous or not, I don't care. I feel like I need to be DOING something, physically.

I think I need to stay here a few more years, just to be responsible. After that, I don't know. Maybe go back to being a technician and take the 50% pay cut.

What are your thoughts? Have you been through this before?

Looking back on this post, I realize that my problems are trivial and thatI should be happy with my life. Others are struggling for basic things that I take for granted. Yet I can't help but think that the struggling people may be happier in a lot of ways.
JeremyZ is offline   Reply With Quote