View Single Post
Old 02-01-2019, 07:54 PM   #1626
Cootey
Absentminded Reader
Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Clara HD, Elipsa; Kindle Paperwhite 3 & 4; iOS eReader apps
Quote:
Originally Posted by milady133 View Post
The problem for Kobo is they don't have the servers needed to support this. Amazon, Google and Apple are much more than ebook store companies, they sell cloud services, so adding cloud support for ebooks is not such a big effort, and they offer it for free because normally the libraries won't take more than 2G top for user (I'm not talking about outliers like some people here, but the average customer).
Kobo has some cloud support to allow users to synchronize the Kobo bought content, but adding support for sideloaded books would mean adding a lot more space to those servers, at their expense, because you're not going to pay for that, will you? For example, take a look at what Bookari charges for cloud support to synchronize your content (that is one reading app that I know offers that additional service). For big companies like Amazon, Apple and Google is small potatoes, but Kobo is not there.

Great points. As for Apple, they charge a minimal 99¢ for the most basic cloud syncing above their free service. Nintendo charges $20 or so for the year for cloud access on the Switch. I would pay extra if Kobo needed the capital to implement better syncing, but they already offer bookmark syncing. Adding support for notes and highlights is digital peanuts. It’s text and coordinate markers. We’re not talking about hosting home movies.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Cootey is offline   Reply With Quote