View Single Post
Old 12-01-2018, 07:38 PM   #17
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One & H2Ov2, Sony PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
So have I and I suspect most of us have. But theme-bending breaks no rules. [...]
Well, you see, I figured that simply picking books that are translations themselves is likely to bend the theme as stated.

That is: "lost in translation" would typically mean that the translation failed or was insufficient. So to meet the literal interpretation of the theme we would have to pick out poorly translated works - perhaps The Three Musketeers for example , or Journey to the Centre of the Earth where they couldn't even get the title right.

Of course, I imagine most people choosing translations will be bending the theme so that "lost" is interpreted in the sense of "lost in a good book".

I thought my nomination was the more literal interpretation of the theme.
gmw is offline   Reply With Quote