View Single Post
Old 12-09-2017, 10:24 PM   #22
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One & H2Ov2, Sony PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitch View Post
Yes--but this is character development. You're conveying information about a character, in various ways. As in, "[t]his always happened to Joe," for example. I don't think that these are the same as backstory or flashbacks.[...]
But one piece of writing can achieve multiple things at the same time. When writing descriptions it is sometimes possible (and desirable) to tease the reader into filling out the details for you, and that can be done for back-story just as it is done for settings and character descriptions.

Here's one line of dialogue from Until I Find You by John Irving. It's said by Mr Ramsey as he drives 10yo Jack to his new boys-only school:

"Never be afraid to take a beating, Jack. At the very least, it's an acting opportunity."

I think it's quite wonderful how much this one line tells you about about Mr Ramsey. Even if this had been all that Irving gave (it wasn't), the picture is almost complete. To me this reads as a flash-back in hiding (Mr Ramsey has taken beatings), and a character portrayal (how he dealt with them) all in one line.
gmw is offline   Reply With Quote