View Single Post
Old 04-18-2021, 09:56 AM   #25
mdp
Wizard
mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenmac999 View Post
I would definitely be interested in smart glasses with the ability to switch from being regular/prescription glasses (when off for example) to a "screen" for displaying "pages" of a book or even replacing computer/tablet/tv screens
The eyeset of the Epson Moverio BT-300 is, as said, transparent when not powered or sleeping: on → transparent plus info, off →just transparent. Si-OLED pixels are transparent when black, and they are black when off [in power].

You would carry your corrective glasses anyway behind the (Moverio) AR eyeset, otherwise, of course, your vision would be impaired in the act of accessing the displayed information. Note: the kind of regulation needed from the corrective glasses during the AR session is "for distance", the content of the display is brain-interpreted as a far object, not a near one.
I logged in to post about it in the parallel, dedicated thread.

I think I see your point about a discreet eyeset working as both sight corrective and memex, but we are at the beginning of Augmented Reality so it's surely premature. And I find it tricky, though it's not my subject, to have both correction and information in the "same" block: you need the correction [when myopic etc.] to properly access the information; currently it's serial and I am not sure that a display could be optically properly placed "in" the corrective lens.

EDIT: I forgot: the experience (the one I know - the Moverio) is not exactly "when off/sleeping, transparent as if unworn", because I use the darkening shades applied to the AR eyeset. The Si-OLED is still "light which fights with light", so the experience is much better if the last layer, fartherst from the eyes, are the "sunglasses" shades. They are applied optionally, sold with the equipment and come in two versions, mildly-darkening and darker. I have no problem in "seeing the environment" with the darkest ones, and if I need to see more clearly I just tilt and look under them (the Moverio are a stripe, you can look above and below when needed).

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenmac999 View Post
My concern would be over implementation (have to have a Facebook, similar account to use). A fictional example is in the "Cyber Seed Quadrilogy" by Craig A. Falconer
Eh? Why on earth would anything like that happen, reading you literally? I clearly see that "we" are sliding towards a nightmarish hell of a future as a consequence of the 250 years of technological advance matched with disproportionally limited advances in the distribution of human wits. But the present times still allow for breathing corners in the dystopia. I use my Moverio airgapped without any problem - it never connected to the Internet in these years (unless it has a hidden radio). And Epson is not [your-mainstream-target-here]; to me their engineering seems relievingly classic (made with good sense).

I am not acquainted with the work of Falconer.

Last edited by mdp; 04-18-2021 at 10:15 AM.
mdp is offline   Reply With Quote