View Single Post
Old 09-03-2008, 11:20 AM   #106
ashkulz
Addict
ashkulz will become famous soon enoughashkulz will become famous soon enoughashkulz will become famous soon enoughashkulz will become famous soon enoughashkulz will become famous soon enoughashkulz will become famous soon enoughashkulz will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle 1/REB 1200
Quote:
Originally Posted by nrapallo View Post
Using my EBW1150, I managed to surf the www.mobileread.mobi site quite well (50+ 'next' and then go to 'last' page and 10+ 'prev') with no resets in sight! I had my plugin to force the smallest font enabled and it crammed a lot of text onto the screen. I love it!

However, I was getting tired of plain-jane screens so I went to the forums and wiki and lo and behold I managed to get a crash! But I was looking for it to happen... See my log attached below, if it helps!
That helps a lot, as it looks the ebook crashed just after trying to access the eBookwise photo. Assuming that it needs to decode the whole picture in memory, then it requires roughly 0.5M of memory (a back of the envelope estimate). Can you tell me how much internal memory and how much free memory on the SM card was present? Because then it begins to look like the low memory issue is the root cause which may be turning up when a site has a lot of images, not when browsing mobile-friendly sites which anyway do not use images that much.

One quick test: can you create a new HTML in your content and include the image and see if it crashes if you navigate locally? If not, then does adding 2 or 3 different large images causes it to crash? If it does crash, then we need to benchmark the maximum size of the images allowed and if they are encountered, then do some handling in impserve for that.

Quote:
p.s. why does my log say "impmake 0.4.1: starting server on 127.0.0.1:9090" when running impserve...
That's a typo which has already been fixed yesterday but not put in the archive uploaded here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashkulz View Post
Can you tell me which version worked better (linreb, or an older impserve version)? Also, can you post a log of where it fails so I can improve it
I was referring to the versions of the ebook. I will try to get to the log tonight.
Hmm, I don't think there's a way in which you can rollback to an older version of the firmware. If we could verify that, we can then report a regression to ETI...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
I have been testing the link to MobileRead. It doesn't alway work, and I have come up with a few ideas.

a, If the 8MB storage is full or the link is inside a large IMP file, my 1150 will almost certainly crash.

b, If the link is inside a small file, my 1150 will likely not crash.

There could be other causes, but the two situations above have happened consistently.
That ties in well with the analysis for nrapallo above. Can you try to remove all books from the internal storage and move them to the SM card? I suspect that the 1150 may be using the internal storage as swap space if it runs out of memory (which is more likely to happen in a large IMP file).

Quote:
Do you know how to format (erase external) the SM card within the ebook reader? You can format it using FAT (not FAT32) with a SM card reader and a PC, but I would still allow the reader to format it (again) before use, just to be sure.

The 8 MB internal storage is there in case there is no SM installed and it would be wise to keep it free of unnecessary files. When the SM card is installed, I think it overrides/supercedes its use.
I'd advise you to do the same, as we need to verify the swap space theory too...
ashkulz is offline   Reply With Quote