View Single Post
Old 03-23-2008, 11:30 PM   #119
rationalbiker
Connoisseur
rationalbiker has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rationalbiker has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rationalbiker has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rationalbiker has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin Dunstan View Post
But it should be clear, even to JK Rowling, that there's always going be piracy no matter what you do. The best way to minimize would be to release an official e-book version. Maybe with Harry Potter Book 7?
I've already come and gone from a different piracy thread, and I know this thread is quite old, but I wanted to address this specific idea.

I disagree with the conclusion that Rowling (or any author) should do anything of the sort just because piracy is inevitable. If people are going to pirate the product any way, make them do the work, don't help them. The author should decide for themselves based on what is in their personal long term self interest and their own principles whether or not to authorize the release an ebook format.

I personally regret that she opposes the ebook format (for whatever reason), but I certainly understand an author's reluctance to give any kind of sanction, to include making it easier for pirates steal, just because the theft is inevitable. This is like telling the robbery victim to carry a knife with them to give to the robber in case they get robbed. And while your at it, display your money on the outside of your clothing to so it will be easier to for the robber to steal.

Piracy may be inevitable, but it is still taking that which is unearned without the rightful owner's permission. I applaud authors who do not give an inch to such animals. I think too few people understand the importance of this principle in a time people think that there is some good being served by not being 'judgemental'. The easier and more 'acceptable' it becomes to steal, the more it will happen.