View Single Post
Old 01-21-2011, 06:53 PM   #19
bmacaskill
Enthusiast
bmacaskill can extract oil from cheesebmacaskill can extract oil from cheesebmacaskill can extract oil from cheesebmacaskill can extract oil from cheesebmacaskill can extract oil from cheesebmacaskill can extract oil from cheesebmacaskill can extract oil from cheesebmacaskill can extract oil from cheesebmacaskill can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kobo, Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamWriter View Post
Because the cracks are appearing most often in the bottom corner(s), I'm thinking it may have to do with how tightly the Kindle is held while reading. There would be a tendency to put more pressure in that area, since the page-advance buttons are right there. And it's a natural place to grasp to balance the device too. This may be something to pay attention to, but this cracking shouldn't be happening, of course!

This doesn't really explain why some Kindles may arrive from the factory with this defect. I'm wondering if cold weather during shipment may be making the plastic more fragile and easier to crack?

I have the Amazon cover, and I usually hold it by cradling the cover itself, being careful not to grasp the device itself too tightly. It does help that I read while propped up in bed, so I don't really need to grip the device itself to hold it in place. If you read while in a supine position, that may be more challenging.
OP here. I just received K3 #3 (replacement #2). No crack. It was ice-cold when I pulled it from between the doors at home (-11c Canada). Keeping my fingers crossed that it doesn't crack at a later date.

I tried copying the contents of the original K3 to the new (uncracked) one, but I lost my collections (but not the books) -- e.g. all 85 books were at the "root" of the Home screen but no longer categorized by Collection. My place in each book *was* carried over.

Also, firmware on the new one was 3.02 whereas the old one had been 3.03.

Again, excellent delivery time from Amazon to Canada. Now I have to pay to ship two of them back! But of course, I'll be compensated for it.
bmacaskill is offline   Reply With Quote