View Single Post
Old 03-02-2010, 05:24 PM   #2
pthwaite
Fanatic
pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: DR1000S Sony PRS505 iPad iPhone
Pdf's do not always transfer well to e-readers when they involve diagrams or other "technical" items. Most (not all) will allow some form of zooming or re-flowing. Zooming is generally better as reflowing usually just removes the pictures and diagrams.
5" or 6" readers would struggle a bit with map and topographical details, you'd need to find one that does zooming with multiple levels.

Most e-readers by default would display an A4 or "Letter" document as a page, so imagine reading your document in 6" diagonal window. It can be succesful but a lot depends on the pdf.

At present I'd suggest you would need to look a the larger screen (and unfortunately the more expensive) devices. The irex devices iliad and DR1000 work very well with pdfs and I'm sure there are others, the Kindle DX may suit as it has a larger display, but limited pdf functionality.

There a lot of newer devices coming along so you'd need to have a look at their specs for pdf zooming and compare. I don't think you'd be satisfied with just pdf reflowing.
pthwaite is offline   Reply With Quote