View Single Post
Old 01-26-2008, 06:33 PM   #6
Greg Anos
Grand Sorcerer
Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook
First, let me explain my terms. Even if you don't agree with them, at least if you can understand them, we can communicate meaningfully. I use the word economy in a broad sense. I refer to the interaction between people for goods, services, ideas, and any other concept that may be created and exchanged - either willingly or unwillingly. Further I do not limit this to a static view, the dynamic flow over time of these things is as important as the things themselves. It can be driven by the profit motive, vanity, altruism, and myriad other human motivations. I'm not giving a value judgement on any of them (scientific method), just trying to measure them and understand their flow. I think (please pardon me if I am wrong, no insult of any kind intended) that your definition is limited by the worldview defined by the profit motive. That is the current major worldview, but there are others, and I try to look at all of them in one big picture. To me, a monk is as much a part of the economy as Warren Buffet, even if the monk doesn't show up on the income tax roles. Finally, I look at what <is>, rather that what I prefer or like.

As to believing in the copyright system - <sigh> - the copyright system is dying, whether I believe in it or not. It was born by technology and is dying by technology. I consider the EU effort to "harmonize" the copyright akin to re-arranging the deck chairs on the Titanic. But that does not mean I'm cheering on the sinking. In addition, this harmonization will probably end up with a worse set of laws that what is currently in existence (remember, cynic is part of my label). I'll bet you see life + 95 or greater coming out as the grand compromise. (Plus life imprisonment for illegal downloading (no death sentence in the EU)).

Finally, copyright does not guarantee <squat>. I have several copyrighted items, they have earned me nothing (nor do I expect them to). It's purpose is to grant a creator a monopoly on his/her creation for a limited time to encourage further creation. I consider this a valid and reasonable granting of a monopoly. But this is a grant - <not> a natural right, <not> a commodity! Furthermore, I can see <no> reason for life + anything. Dead people don't create! (If they do, the person running the Ouija board get the copyright, not the ghost.) Of couse, what life is for a multi-party creation is certainly up for discussion. But look at patent. Creating a <new> invention is far harder that writing a unique piece. But a patent is only 20 years and take thousand of dollars to get even with a valid creation. Somehow, the world of making things gets along very well with only 20 years protection (and people complain about even that!)

(We Texans are used to anarchy. That's why we love guns so much)
Greg Anos is offline   Reply With Quote