View Single Post
Old 02-15-2013, 02:27 PM   #15
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder
Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kobo Glo & Glo HD, PW2
What a warped viewpoint. It's extremely rare that I'll shell out money to see a movie, it has to be something truly exceptional. Otherwise I'll just wait until it comes to cable and watch it in the comfort of my own home. But on the other hand, I freely purchase books to read and often since I then own them (yes, I'm ignoring the whole "but it's only a license" issue... a book is a book is a book).

I still also make use of my public library quite often too. Not to "cheat" the author as he feels libraries do, but simply because I can't afford to buy everything I want to read. And what do you do for out-of-print books? Hunt down a rare copy of a used hard cover? The author doesn't get a penny of that sale.

Not everyone reads a lot as well. I know people who shell out for movie tickets at least once a week but never pick up a book. Comparing his loss of book sales to that crowd wouldn't net him any book income either.

And looking back as a kid, I can't imagine growing up without my public library. I don't think I'd be such an avid reader today without them. I'd like to still know that kids can read whenever they want, whether they take a trip there or download the content. Not every family can afford to buy books, and it would be a shame for children to lose out the most without public libraries.

Let him withhold his books from libraries. There's plenty of other content to read. And plenty of other authors I will buy from.
Ripplinger is online now   Reply With Quote