View Single Post
Old 12-01-2015, 01:28 PM   #3
HomeInMyShoes
Grand Sorcerer
HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I am going to keep my spending down to the usual $20 a month (probably less, but I do have some oddities in my reading list to worry about getting.)

As well, EVERYBODY LOVES BINGO!

So I've got two BINGO cards to fill out, one for countries in continuing my geography challenge from 2014 and one for genres/formats which I have never done a challenge relating too:

Spoiler:

Note: for the countries I have used the two digit ISO standard and the number in brackets is the number of titles I've previously read from the country. Lots of new ones.

Should be fun. Books can count to both BINGO cards and I've generated a reasonably plausible list of books with the help of many members on MobileRead for the genres that will get me through both cards in 36 books. So my number of books challenge is 36:

Spoiler:

Lajja by Taslima Nasrin (Bangladesh) (banned)
Voices from Chernobyl: The Oral History of a Nuclear Disaster by Svetlana Alexievich (Belarus) (history)
The Angel Maker by Stefan Brijs (Belgium) (horror)
Turing's Delirium by Edmundo Paz Soldán (Bolivia) (science fiction)
How the Soldier Repairs the Gramophone by Saša Stanišić (Bosnia & Herzegovina) (historical fiction)
The Monkey King by Timothy Mo (China)
One Hundred Years of Solitude by Gabriel Garcí*a Márquez (Colombia) (magical realism)
This Is How You Lose Her by Junot Díaz (Dominican Republic)
At The Edge Of Light by Maria Peura (Finland)
The Radiance of the King by Camara Laye (W - Guinea)
The Ships by Roberto Quesada (Honduras)
In the Forest of Forgetting by Theodora Goss (Hungary) (fantasy)
Last Man in Tower by Aravind Adiga (India)Last Man in Tower by Aravind Adiga (India)
Children of the Jacaranda Tree by Sahar Delijani (Iran)
The Corpse Exhibition: And Other Stories of Iraq by Hassan Blasim (Iraq) (short stories)
A Tale of Love and Darkness by Amos Oz (Israel) (literary fiction)
Grotesque by Natsuo Kirino (Japan)
The Cry of the Dove by Fadia Faqir (Jordan)
The Blue Sky by Galsan Tschinag (Mongolia)
A Death in the Family by Karl Ove Knausgaard (Norway) (biography/memoir)
Earth Weeps, Saturn Laughs by Abdulaziz Al Farsi (Oman)
The Unit by Ninni Holmqvist (Sweden) (dystopia)
Chaff On The Wind: A Novel by Ebou Dibba (The Gambia)
With the Lightnings by David Drake (United States) (space opera)
The Notebook by Nicholas Sparks (United States) (chick lit)
Rebecca by Daphne du Maurier (United Kingdom) (mystery)
Eleanor & Park by Rainbow Rowell (United States) (romance)
Vermilion by Molly Tanzer (United Kingdom) (steampunk)
Hyperbole and a Half: Unfortunate Situations, Flawed Coping Mechanisms, Mayhem, and Other Things That Happened by Allie Brosh (United States) (humor)
Deathless by Catherynne M. Valente (United States) (folklore/mythology)
The Haunting of Hill House by Shirley Jackson (United States) (gothic)
The Bone Collector by Jeffery Deaver (United States) (thriller)
The Virginian: A Horseman of the Plains by Owen Wister (United States) (western)
Lost Horizon by James Hilton (United States) (travel/adventure)
The Vengeful Virgin by Gil Brewer (United States) (pulp)
The Variant Effect by G. Wells Taylor (United States) (zombies)

Last edited by HomeInMyShoes; 12-02-2015 at 09:14 AM. Reason: Updated the BINGO cards, I noticed one was an old one which didn't have Short Stories (gasp!)
HomeInMyShoes is offline   Reply With Quote