View Single Post
Old 01-20-2011, 09:22 PM   #13
Worldwalker
Curmudgeon
Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by CWatkinsNash View Post
As others have said, that's not really it. The biggest offenders I've found are on Smashwords, not necessarily authors that use MR. It reminds me very much of keyword spamming in webpage headers. Same awful technique. Whenever I put in three or four Smashwords books into Calibre, I'm guaranteed to have 30 or more new tags in the tag browser. Some use the names of top authors in their genre, or even titles of bestsellers. It's bizarre and I'd love for someone to put a stop to it. Do we need to come up with "white hat" policy for ebook keywording?
Is that set up by the author or the publisher/seller?

And I totally agree. It's spamming, and it's annoying. As I said, I've taken to stripping all tags because the majority are spam.

Not putting the name of the author (there's a field for that), the URL of the website, the title of the book (there's a field for that too), etc., into tags would be a good start on best practices. Of course, the people doing this know that's what they're doing; that's why they're doing it. How they can be convinced not to (aside from, y'know, not buying their books) is another matter entirely.
Worldwalker is offline   Reply With Quote