View Single Post
Old 11-20-2012, 03:28 AM   #3
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by murg View Post
Kobo is giving your account email address to your local country affiliate.

I assume that this is if you purchase a book from the Kobo site, but got there through the affiliate. I never directly gave the affiliate my email address. Nor have I given direct permission for Collins Books to use the email address for marketing purposes.

I'm not sure if this is a good thing or not, although I do find it annoying.

I just got some marketing emails from Collins Books (Australian affiliate), using my Kobo account emails.
In Australia, if you got spam you didn't sign up for, they've broken the law - the Spam Act 2003, to be exact. The presence of unsubscribe instructions is not enough - they have to have prior consent in the first place. That consent can be inferred in certain circumstances such as a substantive existing business relationship; however, the ACMA guidance to businesses specifically states:

Quote:
CIRCUMSTANCES WHEN AN “EXISTING RELATIONSHIP” CANNOT
BE ASSUMED

Consent will not always be inferred where there is a pre-existing relationship between you and a person. For example, it would not be reasonable to infer that a person consented to receiving commercial electronic messages from you simply because of a transaction along the lines of any one-off purchase.
Considering your purchase wasn't even from Collins, I think that them inferring an existing business relationship in which you would have expected ongoing marketing messages would be extremely bloody dodgy.

In addition, ACMA says that not even pre-checked tick boxes are adequate consent. The recipient must have "actively and deliberately" consented to receiving marketing messages.

Potential penalties include fines of up to $1.1 million per day.

Information on how to file a report can be found here. You can simply forward the spam message, with its Subject line unchanged, to report@submit.spam.acma.gov.au

Disclaimer: I am not a lawyer.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote