Old 05-08-2017, 01:39 AM   #475
LastSilmaril
Enthusiast
LastSilmaril began at the beginning.

Device: PW2 3G, KV 3G
Inconsistent behavior of this hack on FW 5.8.8+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barty View Post
Serif is either Caecilia regular or bookerly. You need to select the font. The font menu will not show your font's name.
I understood that the font's name wouldn't be there. If the answer is that serif is supposed to map to Caecilia or Bookerly - thanks for pointing this out; actually I'm realizing that the 'Bookerly' selection text in the Font menu was being rendered in Garamond, and this should have tipped me off. I don't think this is explicitly explained anywhere though - it would be nice if the docs or OP in this thread were updated to reflect this.

Anyway, turns out this works!...sometimes. When I'd posted before, I'd only tried one book, which I had taken out from the library. Now, checking again, I've had it working with others, but the behavior is not consistent:
  • The library book had its own embedded font, and rendered in Bookerly, not Garamond.
    • Similarly, another book I bought recently, which also had an embedded font, also rendered in Bookerly.
    • Also, yet another book I had bought from Amazon recently, but which did *not* have an embedded font, also rendered in Bookerly.
  • Another book, which was converted to MOBI and emailed to Amazon, successfully rendered in Garamond!
    • In fact, all the converted-to-MOBI-and-emailed books worked fine, save one - and that one exhibits other odd behavior: the font menu that comes up allows choosing between different Asian fonts, rather than the traditional font options, so it appears to have been corrupted somehow.
  • Lastly, another retail book, which I bought a couple of months ago, and which had an embedded font, successfully got rendered in Garamond.

I can't really tell what the factor is here. Perhaps the library book and the books I bought recently are coming in in KFX form? I thought all books these days other than personal docs have been autoKFX'd by Amazon and are delivered in that form automatically to devices that support it.

Perhaps the way KFX is rendered in or delivered to a device running 5.8.8+ has changed?

It looks like byzkarl is also experiencing this behavior - is anybody else?

Does anybody have any idea how to properly confirm suspicions as to what's causing this? My guess is it would involve downloading a given book under different firmwares, observing behavior, and DeDRMing and comparing the results, or something like that...?

Last edited by LastSilmaril; 05-09-2017 at 12:20 AM. Reason: formatted and edited to improve clarity.
LastSilmaril is offline   Reply With Quote