View Single Post
Old 10-11-2010, 05:13 AM   #1
brecklundin
Banned
brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Device: mine
Future History/Dystopian novels I am just finishing up...fun reading (no spoilers)

I love SF story lines that examine society often taking concepts to the level of what seems absurd in order to stimulate us to question where we are in the here and now. For me the four books below are that sort of novel with the bonus of nice being a tad seditious with plenty of wheels-within-wheels to keep me busy trying to figure out what is happening.

I just really enjoy such stores not because of anything other than it reminds not to ask myself if it is best to blindly accept the society as it exists or, is it better to never question the world and just work at being less self aware with a repress deep rooted desire to live on my own terms no matter the outcome so when I croak I at least go out knowing I tried with what resources I was given. I didn't write that as well as it sounds in my head so I hope my point comes through.

I suppose these stories question if it's a better life to try and be effective and proactive or to "Forest Gump" your way through life? Or maybe better said is, what constitutes a happy life or is life even supposed to have any meaning to begin with. Well, they are probably not that introspective but I often see more in something that might be there because I try and follow the ideas even further down the road than the author might take me.

Anyway I liked them in order, likely as I read them in this order:

Daemon by Daniel Suarez
The Unincorporated Man by Dani Kollin and Eytan Kollin
The Unincorporated War by Dani Kollin and Eytan Kollin (sequel to The Unincorporated Man)
Freedom by Daniel Suarez (Sequel to Daemon)

I would add that the tone of The Unincorporated War is pretty different than the first book and I found the first book better on my first read through...but once I listened to them all again I see how The Unincorporated War works as a middle novel of that series, likely a trilogy I think but no more or it could get really dull.

Both series are not written by wordsmiths but rather very workman like still the stories are fun. I also found them to have depth I never anticipated when I decided to buy them. So if you want a month or two worth of fun reading I would recommend them...or if you read them it might be fun to talk about them though I hate the idea of spoilers because I feel ya need to read them w/o any expectations to get the most out of them.

Anyway, I enjoyed them enough I also have the Audible versions so I can listen during the day if I want...love Audible for sure but it's also fun to read the book then listen to a professional reader present the book.

Last edited by brecklundin; 10-29-2010 at 10:05 AM.
brecklundin is offline   Reply With Quote