View Single Post
Old 08-26-2014, 03:56 PM   #2
RbnJrg
Wizard
RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4 NT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike L View Post
NOTE: Not sure if I should post this in the Android or the Kindle section. Apologies if this is the wrong place. Mods are welcome to move it.

Does anyone know how to specify a non-standard dictionary in the Kindle Android app?

Some time ago, I bought a French dictionary for my Kindle e-ink reader. It works fine. I would now like to use the same dictionary when reading French books on my Android device. But the Android app does not seem to offer any way of specifying which dictionary to use. I have downloaded the default French dictionary, but I want to use the one I previously purchased.

Is this possible, or is it one of those things that Amazon somehow forget to implement?

Thanks in advance.

Mike
Hi Mike;

Regrettably, on Android, Amazon Kindle application doesn’t support custom dictionaries so, in principle, you won't be able to use your french dictionary (it can be used only on Kindle readers).

However, there is a hack in order to get what you want. Do the following:
  1. Open any book (no matter which) and request a definition in a language that you won't use (Deutsche for example). The Kindle app will start to download that dictionary; wait the download is completed and exit from the app (use task manager to kill the app to make sure).
  2. The downloaded dictionary will be in /sdcard/Android/data/com.amazon.kindle/files folder. In order to detect the downloaded dictionary, watch what is the last modified date. Remember the name of the .prc file (also you could find a .mbp file -you'll find them inside a folder named B00XXXXXXX-; of course, instead of XXX you'll have another thing) and rename it/them (change extensions).
  3. Copy in this folder your french dictionary and give it the same name as the .prc file whose name you changed in the previous step (if your french dictionary has another extension than .prc, no matter, give it that extension, so that your dictionary is named something like B00XXXXXXX_EBOK.prc).
  4. Now open Kindle app and use your dictionary (of course, you will be choosing the Deutsche dictionary but actually will be your french dict.)

Of course, with the previous method, instead of changing a Deustche dict you can change the Amazon french dict, but by doing as I tell you, you'll have both, your custom french dict and the Amazon's.

Regards
Rubén
RbnJrg is offline   Reply With Quote